Monday, October 27, 2008

Connor!

Connor James Zwickl
7: 48 am, October 10, 2008
7 lbs 15 oz, 19 3/4"

Sorry it's taken so long to get some pictures up, but it's hard being a new mom! :) So let me catch you up...

We checked in to the hospital on Thursday, the 9th, at 10:30 pm. The nurse started the induction process, and Andrew and I were settled down to sleep a little after midnight. As we were warned, we didn't get much sleep (and the chair that "turns into" a bed that Andrew slept on was pretty uncomfortable for him!). About 6:30 am, the nurse came in to tell us that we were going to have to do a C-section, since our baby didn't like any of my contractions, and his heart rate would go down after each one. Since they were early contractions, and not too strong yet, they didn't think that he'd do well with labor. So, Dr. Cheng was on her way in. We frantically started the phone tree off, and let people know that it was go time. I was really unprepared for the C-section, and a little scared, but it all went really smoothly. Because of the short notice, I didn't get to see anyone before I went into the operating room. Long story short, Connor was born at 7:48 am, and it was so reassuring to hear his little lungs let out that first wail! And our beautiful baby boy is the spitting image of Andrew. :) Andrew was with me for the first part, but then followed Connor when he left to go to the nursery. I ended up falling asleep shortly after I got to hold Connor, so I kinda lost touch on the timing. I do remember waking up as they were done sewing me up, and I asked them to make sure they didn't have any extra parts leftover!

Doctor Andrew - ready to go into surgery!

Our First Family Photo

Daddy and Auntie Brittany in the nursery

Connor - with his arms up, the way he likes it!

Auntie Elizabeth, Nana, and Auntie Maria

Apparently, it was quite a while before I came out of the recovery room, but as I mentioned earlier, I had really no concept of time. It all happened quite quickly on my end, but I guess we can blame the drugs! :) Mom did "sneak" into the recovery room to make sure I was okay. Andrew hadn't told anyone Connor's name - and we didn't really have a chance to confirm with each other that we were going with Connor James until we were in the recovery room, anyway (we were still kicking around other middle names). But eventually, we were in our own room, and Connor was brought back, and the free for all to hold him began!! We had a lot of visitors over the days we were there!

Mommy and Connor

Connor, Mommy and Daddy

The Paparazzi

Connor and Jiaji Peter (Polish for "Grandfather")

Connor and Nana

Connor and Grandpa Ron

Auntie Maria and Connor

Auntie Shannon and Connor

Mommy, Ella, Connor, and Auntie Brittany

Mommy, Auntie Brittany, and Connor

Connor and Geri

Auntie Brittany and Ella - who needs to see everything that's going on!

Auntie Shannon, Mommy, Connor, and Auntie Maria

Uncle Scott, Daddy, and Connor

Andrew stayed at the hospital pretty much the whole time, although he did make it to the Bronco's game on Sunday ('cause I'm the best wife in the world! Although it would have been nicer had they actually won!), and he went to class on Monday. But he did manage to "relax" on the dad bed. :)

Daddy and Connor on the chair bed

We ended up spending five days at the hospital, much longer than we expected, especially since we hadn't planned on the C-section. But we left with a healthy baby, so there's not much else we could ask for! :) We did try to leave on Monday, since they'd given me the okay, and took out the staples, but we had a bit of a set back when they came in and said Connor wasn't able to leave. His weight had gotten down to 7 lbs 2 oz. Most babies lose weight after they're born, but because Connor had lost more than 10% of his body weight, he wasn't going to be able to leave. Most of the problem was because I was nursing, and my milk hadn't come in yet. So, after many tears (mine!), we stayed another day and supplemented with some formula. We were able to get Connor's weight up to 7 lbs 4.5 oz on Tuesday, so we were all able to go home! Both Andrew and I were excited to get back to our house and sleep in our own bed!

Going Home!

On the way to the car

The Thursday after we got home, Whitney, Lorelei, Brittany, and Ella all came over, and we got to catch up, since Whitney was in town for a couple of days. She also brought dinner, which was awesome - since making dinner wasn't a top concern for Andrew and me!

Heather and Connor, Brittany and Ella, and Whitney and Lorelei

We've taken a couple more pictures of Connor over the last couple days. And I'm sure we'll have more, especially since there are so many "big" days coming up!! :) The holiday's are my favorite time of year! :)

Connor's Tummy Time

Connor in his swing - which he loves!

We getting used to the different little noises he makes, and we're completely smitten with our baby. We've got about a half a dozen different little nicknames we call him. He's just so sweet! And we can't wait to see what he does each day. He's over 8 lbs now, so he's growing and getting bigger. Each time we go to the doctor's for his check ups, they're surprised at how strong he is (it must be because we watched Ahr-nold so many times while I was pregnant with him!).

That's it for now... I'll try to keep the updates on baby Connor frequent for you all! :) Have a Happy Halloween!!

1 comment:

The Deuel Zoo said...

What a cutie! I hope you and Andrew have gotten a little groove going and are finding time to sleep! It was great seeing you - wish it could be more often.